Located on the beautiful California coast in Santa Cruz at the intersection of the world’s tech and agricultural capitals, Cityblooms makes farming smart. By applying modern Internet-of-Things technology to time-tested hydroponics farming, Cityblooms offers a complete urban farming solution to efficiently grow hyper-local food that is fresher, more nutritious and more sustainable than traditional farming methods. Our motto is, “measuring farm to fork in yards, rather than miles.”
Presently, we’re hiring for these exciting positions at our Santa Cruz, CA facility:
Hydroponic Farm Manager
Primary Job Description:
Responsible for all facets of hydroponic farm management.
- Crop scheduling, crop selection, and certified food safety program.
- Equipment maintenance, cleaning, and sanitation.
- Client relationships including harvest and deliveries.
- Full-time salaried position (minimum 40 hours per week expected, and some weeks will be more)
- Flexible work schedule, except Mondays (7:00 am start), Wednesdays (8 am start).
- $1,000/week starting salary, with Paid-time-off.
- Primary farm location is in the Harvey West area of Santa Cruz. Other travel needed to San Jose and Watsonville.
- Must be flexible and available to respond to system emergencies as they crop up.
Desired Experience and Attributes:
- Zealous attention to detail and cleanliness.
- Good with record keeping, organization, and documentation.
- Experience with hydroponic crop production and a background in plant science.
- Good with people and capable of being a positive representative of our company.
For an aspiring urban farmer, this is an opportunity to contribute to a growing company. We are trailblazing in a new industry so you will need a sense of adventure! Applicants please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Farming Technology Innovation Engineer
Cityblooms is looking for a skilled and motivated individual to design and develop sensing, monitoring and control electronics for use in our integrated Farming Management Systems. This individual will collaborate with a cross-functional team of engineers to deliver best-in-class systems that enable a more reliable and sustainable global farming infrastructure.
The Farming Technology Innovation Engineer is a technical role that ensures the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the sensors, monitors, network and associated systems for Cityblooms. This individual will work under the general direction of the CTO, while managing their own time and resources to ensure the effective resourcing of projects and to support daily operational activities.
As the Farming Technology Innovation Engineer, the individual will help in the development of new products and services, actively exploring new technologies related to sensor development, process improvements in the field of Plant Science and Farming Technology.
Results-oriented and driven – seeks opportunities for personal development.
Manages priorities effectively – good crisis management skills – ability to focus.
Applies technical skills to analyze problems and risks.
Good communication and interpersonal skills – actively shares information with others.
Start to finish ownership of sensors, control boards and other electronics – from specification and design to prototyping and manufacturing.
Product level electrical design including component selection and circuit design.
Collaborate with mechanical, analog control, digital control, thermal design, manufacturing test.
Operating shop machinery, semi-automated and automated lab equipment.
Balance multiple tasks while prioritizing critical tasks.
Perform in-process testing to assure prototypes meet specifications.
Troubleshooting of processes, procedures and product issues.
Define standard operating procedures and work instructions for processes.
Drive cost improvement initiatives by reducing failures, improving capacity and using supplies wisely.
Develop and deploy prototypes with minimal input/supervision.
Manage budget, time and resource for constant improvement of prototypes based on feedback.
Previous laboratory or manufacturing experience – relevant coursework or 3+ years equivalent work experience in R&D / New Product Development.
Experience in supervision of PCB layout, plane definition, and EMC optimization.
Proficiency with basic EE tools (scopes, network analyzers, etc.)
Embedded programming of Micro-controllers, in real-time control applications.
Current knowledge of modern Web Services (PubNub, AWS etc.)
Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative technical environment.
Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to articulate project status reports and presentations to business stakeholders.
Availability for some on-call and Weekend work.
Formal Education & Certification – College diploma or university degree in the field of Electrical Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, Computer Science, Information Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or related field.
Understanding of safe working practices in a laboratory environment, especially as pertaining to food safety standards relating to produce products, water and pharmaceuticals.
Experience working with chemicals, hazardous materials and high voltages.
Full-time position with flexible schedule.
Salary/Equity Option package will be competitive and based upon a candidate’s qualifications.
Interested parties, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Stack Web Developer
We are looking for a key player to continuously improve Cityblooms’ analytics dashboard and take ownership of new feature development!
- Product and design stakeholders will look to you to provide technical guidance on upcoming features as well as improvements to our existing dashboard.
Your professional experience includes:
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience
- Server-side web programming (PHP/Wordpress)
- Databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Website design (Bootstrap, CSS)
- iPad web-app design
- Unit testing
- Designing tablet and smartphone interfaces
- Building web apps
- Rackspace Cloud, Digital Ocean or AWS
- Mobile apps (Native & Cross-Platform)
- Data visualization and graphing frameworks such as D3 and NVD3
And these things are also important to us:
- Extremely self-motivated, self-directed, and self-organizing – we do not micromanage!
- Passion for your work
- Pragmatic view and willingness to adapt to new technologies
- Experience with iOS/Android
- Ability to “go beyond design” to find the best UX
Interested parties, please send a resume to email@example.com
Who We Are:
We are product-driven, curious, and creative. We aggressively reinvest in development to keep Cityblooms moving and evolving from expanding usability and power to platform reach. In 2014, Cityblooms began operating its multi-cluster hydroponic farm at the Plantronics Inc. headquarters supplying biweekly deliveries of produce to the Bon Appétit-operated cafeteria. In 2015, the Plantronics installation was awarded the Acterra Business Environmental award in the environmental project category. The company has now expanded operations to its second corporate campus at a major Silicon Valley tech company and is looking to expand into new projects in the Bay Area. Every person at Cityblooms has an inherent passion and driven spirit and it isn’t enough to be able to do the job; we are looking for people that color outside the lines and dream big!
Cityblooms is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.